Sunday, October 17, 2010

what do you do when it is 113


On the last Monday in September Los Angeles broke its own record for heat, which stood since 1877. It was 113 or rather the official thermometer broke when it read 113.

Anyone who complains on the day after labor day about summer being over, needs to just shut their mouths because if it can be 113+ so close to October how can summer be over. Sorry a pet peeve, I digress.

So what exactly do you do when it is that hot out? Since I am so grounded in nature, I went tide pooling with my mid-western friends. This was our first time at the tide pools at Point Dume, which is a bit north of Malibu. What we were supposed to see were new creatures, like nudibranch (here I will google that for you so you don't get something weird-click here ) and different sea stars, but what we saw was nothing. Which was fine because I had another opportunity to use my camera and feel an ocean breeze, so plus-plus.

Here are some photos:

(on top of Point Dume looking down)


(We came across this vast field of muscles and a bright orange sea star hiding in their midst, or probably more likely eating them)


(sunset bird feeding time on Point Dume Beach)

By the time this is posted, I will have visited the tide pools at Doheny Beach, so hopefully there will be more to share.

No comments: