Monday, October 04, 2010

Oktoberfest

One fateful Halloween last year my old roommate and I met up with this couple at my favorite local. We ended up at their house with the entire bar celebrating Halloween until 4:am, which was the night before, or rather the morning of the day that I moved into the apartment I am in now.

It seem that they had just finished a couple weeks previous, their 1st annual Oktoberfest celebration. Everyone there went on an on about how fantastic it was. It became evident that these people went all out. Homemade beer, a 24 hour blitzkreig of homemade pretzel, sauerkraut and brat making (yes homemade veal and pork goodness) It made my mouth water for about a year.

So as the second annual Oktoberfest approached I had to make sure I was on the guest list, especially since this year promised to out Oktober the last. I even bought a costume. See me pictured with my good friend T, in costume with polka band in background.


Part of the going out this year involved a make shift polka band of local friend musicians, called "Polka, I hardly now her" There were such polka favorites as "ya ya ya, nine nine nine" and the lalala song that you just sing la la la for a while and then bier at the end.

Although I debated hard about having a brat as pork seems to be another issue of mine, I did manage to talk myself into two, which were the best bratwurst I have ever tasted and when in doubt homemade sauerkraut will be on of the best choices you will ever make nevermind the vat festering in your kitchen because once you have tasted homemade, that jar you get at the grocery store that is slightly brown will repulse you.

That day I lost my struggle as being gluten free was an epic fail and glad I had Sunday to sleep and blog which is all I could do.

Until next year. Ein Prosit!

No comments: