Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What I have been up to-Reading and Movies

Reading:
I have finished two books so far this year; The History of Love (Strongly recommend), Sharp Objects (Thought it was going to be bit trashy, which it was, but I liked it) and now I am reading Nancy Drew: Girl Slueth and Waiting: True Confessions of A Waitress.

Movies:
As well as helping Asher shoot his latest YouTube endeavor. I have been watching a lot of movies. My most recent venture out to a movie theater was to see Be Kind, Rewind which isn't getting the best reviews, but I really liked it. It was a very quirky heart warming film. It is totally up my alley, but I am afraid that if I recommend it to you, you might think it is just too weird. To be honest it reminded me a lot of Batteries Not Included which I liked when I was a kid.

Also, I saw "Definitely, Maybe" (Cute and a different spin on the romantic comedy) "Babel" (If you don't think it can get worse it does, and then gets worse from there) "Girl 27" (A great documentary about the early hollywood and the ways it was not as glamorous as people thought. Not for the youngins) Now I am into season one of the "Flight of the Concords", which is also quirky in my type of way.

Speaking of movies, I didn't hear from anyone about Oscar picks. How did people feel about the Oscar show? My highlights were when Marion Cotillard from "La Vie En Rose" and the people from Once won.

If you haven't seen either of these movies, I thought they were great and they are both out on DVD and if they are not part of your netflix queue add them now. (What do you know, "Falling Slowly" is playing on my itunes.)

This is how I think they can make the Oscars better.
1) I think that they can not televise the winners in the short film categories. Maybe 10% of the population gets access to see these films. I live in L.A. and the only time we get to see these films are after the awards show.
2) Televise only the winning song from the best original song category.  
3) Let more than one person talk when they get an award for a group. It is their award too, not just the extroverts.

What do you think? Email me.

By the way, 6 more entries and I am on my 200th post.

No comments: