Sunday, November 07, 2010

Trendsetter

I have always been a trendsetter. I get comments all the time about bands I liked first, things I wore before they were popular. Tall boots with skirts, that was me...Arrggh matey

I was talking to another friend last week who is gluten free and she said:

"Do you know what the new diet fad is now?"

I replied "no"

She said "Being gluten free."

See I am always ahead of the game.

Before I explain the following I want to say that I am not a professional nutritionist, dietitian, weight loss coach etc. But I do have some hints, warnings, etc.

One, if you think that you can lose weight and not exercise you are completely delusional.

Two, people have gotten smarter and have made gluten free products very similar to their gluteny counter parts, they are tastier and spongier; like French Meadow and their sinfully wrong cream cheese frosted gluten free vanilla cupcakes. Those definitely have calories and just because they are gluten free does not mean that they are calorie free. Don't think that you can get away with eating them and think, Oh they are gluten free so therefore on your diet.

Whole Foods has this amazingly rich flourless chocolate cake, this will also not be on your diet.

A lot of these products are made out of rice and rice has a lot of sugar, just ask a diabetic.

All I am saying is be careful and mindful. If you decide that going gluten free is something you want to do, just be smart about it.

Did you know that one cup of raspberries has more fiber than a cup of oatmeal? As a gluten free person you can't eat oatmeal. So eat raspberries.

No comments: