Monday, November 15, 2010

This year, something different

When I moved here I was so excited for Halloween. I could finally wear what I wanted without having to hide my costume under a parka and trudge through the snow in bare legs. I guess though that I could have gotten by without buying a costume at all. I could have just said:

"Under all of these layers I am the Statue of Liberty"

I was so excited to move here and be whatever I wanted. Year 1 I was a flapper, Year 2 Cleopatra, Y3 The Bride of Frankenstein, Y4 Cleopatra again. I was all of these things without having to wear even a sweater.

This year since I got the dress-up out of my system for Oktoberfest, I decided to do something different and not dress up at all. I did the other thing I have wanted to do since I got here and went to Dia de Los Muertos at Hollywood Forever (You may remember this name from the cemetery movie screenings from summers past)

I like the idea of Dia de los Muertos. The day where you can celebrate with loved ones who have passed, share their favorite foods and celebrate their life.
(Here is an example of what the offerings look like, candy, nuts, hot chocolate, the ever important tamales &Folgers.)

What I like about this holiday is seeing all of the creativity that goes into the Ofrendas. There was a great one that looked like a dollhouse with all the separate rooms with wedding scenes with paper cut out and miniatures. Another with a large scene tv running their loved ones favorite Telenovelas(soapoperas) Ofrendas with live participants dressed up as Aztec Gods and Goddesses

Or dressed up as beautiful skulls as seen below

Marigolds and Monarchs everywhere.

I know at first glance this all seems very morbid, but some how it isn't. It is nice to have a day and reflect upon the people who have shaped and effected out lives. To not be sad, but to give thanks.

I will definitely be back next year and maybe dress up.

No comments: