Saturday, November 27, 2010

another first

This Thanksgiving I hosted a second annual orphan thanksgiving at my apartment with a few close friends. It was my first attempt at cooking a turkey. I must admit that I was a bit nervous, but after a couple badly burnt fingers, I think it went pretty well. I think I know why the ove-glove was invented.

The gravy... now that was another story. I think the meticulous attention to detail to make sure the turkey was not overcooked and juicy made me not care so much about how the gravy turned out. Maybe I was a little bit cocky and threw in just a little too much cornstarch and my roommate threw in a little too much wine.





It made me realize that I really miss cooking. Not that I don't cook. I cook, but I miss the line cook days of making things from scratch. I miss making chickens, fish, cream sauces, I miss marinating things, whipping squash and potatoes.

Something happened I guess and I forgot how much I love it. So now is as good of a time as any to start again.

A special thank you to Alton Brown, who taught me how to truss a Turkey.

No comments: