Thursday, January 21, 2010

"through the 7 layers of the candycane forest, past the swirly girly gumdrops"

Sometimes you have to really work to get home for the holidays to really appreciate it. I have only begun to be able to talk about SNOMAGGEDON 2009. It was that horrifying.

What started out as two girls and a dog (in an Elizabethan collar) reliving their Thelma and Louise trip of 2000, turned into a white knuckle fight to the finish. I think the problem is that we got cocky. After every mile we passed that was supposed to be "near blizzard" and wasn't we exclaimed:

"The weather channel people overreact, this is nothing, these people have never been to Minnesota before."

And it wasn't bad, when it was it was windy and raining. Rain is doable, especially if you are from MN. What wasn't doable was when it turned into a skating rink outside of Story City, Iowa. Like the IADOT said it would. There were so many Semis in the ditch and understandable, they drive like maniacs, several of them tried to take us down with them.

....but you can't mess with the Decker girls. (Well one Decker and one nee Decker)

What was supposed to be a 14 hour trip turned into 21. 7 of that 21 was between Des Moines IA and Minneapolis. Any nostalgia I felt entering my former alma mater state has now been replaced by bad feelings. I'll never need to go back.

At least we made it home for the Holidays.

The one thing I learned about myself this trip was, at a certain point of being awake, say the 24 hour mark, I lose the ability to speak.

No comments: