Thursday, April 24, 2008

A family member shares

A few weeks ago I asked you to share your top life experiences. Here is one from my Aunt Beth:

When Nick was just a little boy (about 6) his great-great-grandfather, William McKinley Nicholas was dying of stomach cancer at the age of 96 or 97. I had a meeting down in Miami where he lived with Nick’s great-grandfather, so I made arrangements to go to their house to have lunch and spend some time. Will was too sick to get out of bed, so I crawled in bed with him and spent about an hour snuggling and listening to him tell me stories of his life. He told me of some of the changes he had seen in the world since his birth in 1896. Can you even imagine? The widespread use of electricity and telephones, cars, airplanes, rockets, computers. To experience life during most of the 20th century must have been unbelievable especially when looking back at it.

I will never forget this wonderful moment in my life. I can only hope that it was in any was as special to him as it was to me.

Thank you for sharing your story.

No comments: