Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Adventures in LA-rest of last day

I was really excited to finally show Dad where I worked. It is a pretty impressive place after all.  We took the Sunset scenic route back to the Getty. I was surprised that my suggestion of Mullholland was turned down. Oh well next time.

We first checked out the Herb Ritts photography exhibit, which was pretty fantastic. You may remember him from that iconic Richard Gere and the classic car photo, covers of Madonna albums, Calvin Klein ads and the Chris Isaak "wicked game" video starring Helena Christianson. (I had that song stuck in my head for several days after) The human form is a very important theme in Ritts show. (i.e. tons of nudes)

We lunched at the white table cloth Getty Restaurant and had amazing crab cakes and soaked in the view of the ocean and Denzel Washington's house and sipped on Arnold Palmers.  The food there is pretty great. I was tempted to eat the Bouillabaisse, but thought every time I sucked on a shrimp head or discarded some shells, I would just hear "yuck" and "gross" from mom. I recommend trying it if you ever go there that or the arctic char.

I gave them a tour of the building I worked in showing them as much cool stuff as I could. The gallery in my building was between shows. I showed them the view from my office which overlooks the garden which was closed at that time for repairs

I left them to wander around the museum, while I worked, which is an unfortunate thing when you come up to work on your vacation you might just end up working.  I hurried and met them in the Italian Renaissance paintings gallery.  There is a lot of art at the Getty, as my Dad said "someone could easily spend a couple days there."


We had someone take a picture at the entrance to the museum on the way out, coincidentally a professional photographer vacationing from Japan. Maybe that is why this photo is so artfully done. 

This pretty much concludes the trip. I am pretty sure that my parents had fun.  I was really surprised that my Dad liked Los Angeles as much as he did. It is a pretty great place.

If you have any interest at all in seeing the kind of work that goes on in my building, I can sign you up for the e-news letter. Just send me your email address.

No comments: