Sunday, January 20, 2013

LAnniversary

Thursday was my 7 year anniversary of moving to LA. It was also 70 degrees and sunny for the first time since I got back from Minnesota.

Secretly this is what I think about on every anniversary I have here. I think about Paul and Judy. Paul, if you remember was a guy i dated in college. He was the first I lived with, probably the first guy I loved, which I realize was very stupid. He was pretentious and thought the world owed him a whole bunch of things. He came to college with me to the University of Iowa to become a director. He thought he was amazing, it didn't hurt that I told him that. After college his plan was to go to LA, where he would surely be lauded for his amazing short films and find a job no problem. When he broke up with me and moved cross county with his high school sweetheart a month later, who became his wife in a drive through chapel in vegas sometime en route, he found Los Angeles to not be what he expected and moved back after a week.

A week!

When I made the decision to move out to Los Angeles for another director the very first thing my good friend Judy said to me was that I would never last and LA would eat me alive.

But after 7 years it hasn't. Sometimes I feel a little chewed on, but Minneapolis made me feel that way too. I can tell you that after 7 years my life is more interesting than I ever thought it could be.

Sometimes the best revenge is living well.



(Photo is of one of the zoetropes in culver city)

No comments: